Saturday, June 28, 2008

A 'VERY LITTLE' DREAM

Talking about dream, I'm sure everyone has his dream. Sometime we know that is only a dream. In another time we think we can make our dream to reality. Then we realize it's just a dream, only happen when we sleep...

I have my 'very little ' dream too... I don't know if sharing this is good for me or not, but this is my blog. I have to write what I want to write as long as it not hurt other people. So I will write about my 'hidden dream' today...

I studied in Saudi Arabia between 1989-1997 in Islamic University of Madinah. I learned Islamic Studies there in Arabic Language and got my BA in 1997. After graduated, I work with MAIDAM from 1998 until today. I'm now study in Universiti Darul Iman Malaysia (UDIM) for my MA, but still working as a teacher in IQ Terengganu. When I was in Madinah, I was oppose those who learn Islamic Studies in West Country like USA or UK... I always say to my self : Why should somebody learning Islamic Studies in these countries? Islam is begin at Makkah and Madinah, and that is the place people should learn Islam...

But as a human we always change our mind resulting of the place and the time. Last year I found the book which contain the 'fatwa' from our 'ulama' who live in Europe. Yes, some of their 'fatwa' are different from 'fatwa' make by our 'ulama' from Arabic Countries . This book make my eyes open. As a student from Madinah, I'm always support the 'fatwa' from Saudi Arabia, and I didn't change my opinion for that. Our 'ulama' from Saudi Arabia are the best in Islamic knowledge ect... But my opinion in study Islamic Studies in Western Country is change. I can see from that book, our 'ulama' from Europe are not less. Their knowledge is not less from their friend from Arabic Country. But they live in the different situation that make their 'fatwa' different too. They see in the 'fatwa' something that their friends from Islamic Countries couldn't see it. And this is what our famous 'ulama' Dr Yusuf al-Qardhawi always say : Different fatwa resulting of different place and time...

As I mention before, for me our 'ulama' from Arabic Countries are the best. They live in the place which Islam is begin. But It doesn't mean that we only accept their 'fatwa' and refuse to accept other 'fatwa' especially the world has change too much nowday .

So... What is my 'hidden' dream??? My 'a very little hidden' dream is to study in Western Country for my PhD... Is it funny?? I know that is just a dream. A dream that not came true. With my situation and my 'bad' English, there are no opportunity for me to learn there. But to be a dreamer no one can change it.... And if (if) ((and another if)) I has given that chance, I will do my best to get my PhD in English... so my BA in Arabic, my MA in Malay and my PhD in English... What a dream...

p/s my 'hidden' dream begun last year... and just last week my boss encourage us to make our MA or PhD in English... But I don't have chance for that...






1 comments:

Hasrizal Abdul Jamil said...

Assalamualaikum Ustaz.

It was very nice to meet and to know you in IQT today. Wish that we could have more time to chat. I personally admire your effort to write in English and believe that if ustaz consistently in doing this, your PhD will Insya Allah be in English.

Many scholars from Arab countries are now teaching in the West. Mainly from Iraq after the Gulf War. Orientalists are no longer the main academic team members like it used to be. We do have good number of great Muslim scholars in the West.

I encourage ustaz to enhance our English because it will bring more into our horizon of dakwah dan tarbiyah.

Thank you again ustaz... Salam dari ana. Ada rezeki kita jumpa lagi, ameen.